[dba-Tech] Performance in disc partitions

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Jan 27 18:56:35 CST 2008

IIRC, the disk controller speeds up the writes as the tracks move outwards
towards the edge of the platter.  IOW there is more surface area on the
outer tracks so they just bump up the waveform to allow more data to be
written in that larger surface area.  When thought of from that perspective,
the outer tracks hold more data / track and so may require less head
movement. I have no idea whether the first volume is on the inner tracks or
the outer tracks.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting