[dba-Tech] Really and for true, how can I...

Bill Patten bill_patten at embarqmail.com
Sun Jun 1 12:13:47 CDT 2008

Jim,
Acronis Home will do a clone and is cheaper than Workstation. It will not
allow you to use the Universal Repair. You can down load a demo of either
and test it. Looking on line you can often find reduced prices for the Home
version. I think the demo will even allow you to create the bootable CD so
you can test the clone feature, but it probably has some kind of expiration
date.

When cloning Server 2003 I found that you have to be careful and not allow
the server to boot with both drives still installed, it will wipe out one of
them. (I suspect it re-writes the MBR on one but didn't bother to look into
it. I just turn off the computer when the clone is complete and remove one
of the drives before I apply power.

HTH

Bill