[dba-Tech] Really and for true, how can I...

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 06:41:59 CDT 2008

Lembit,

» yes, right. sorry. «

That made me chuckle.  I could hear John Cleese saying that in a Monty
Python episode.

» somehow I was under the impression thst the old machine had failed.... «

No, it had just "seen better days".  It had its power supply replaced,
but it still works all right.  I was primarily interested in how to
reduce the pain of re-installing umpteen pieces of software on a brand
new computer to get it up to the level of functionality that an
existing system has.

In my experience, it takes a couple weeks for things to be back to
"normal" when one buys a new machine to replace an old one.  Sure,
favorites and address books and email and data files can be
transferred, no sweat.  The sweat comes when one re-installs all that
blankety-blank software!  The "bucket brigade" with an alternate IDE
controller seems to me to offer as direct a route as possible,
considering that there's a different hard disk controller in the new
machine.

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI
USA