[dba-Tech] Sound Card

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 9 13:48:09 CDT 2008

Hi Rocky:

Just got back from a contract install so rhis may be a little late. If all
the componenets like sound, lan and video are built into the motherboard a
CD usually accompanynes the product sale. This CD inconjunction with the XP
disks allows you to set up the system.

Most manufactures will allow you to download the CD contents when you
request info giving the computer model and possiblily series number. (Each
model has a slightly different mother config.)

The XP installation does not necessarily recognize the mother board
configuration and will just install the defaults or closest match. (Just
thank you lucky stars that you are not installing Vista as it is not unusual
to find you only have VGA 8 bit graphics and a system refusing to update as
it may be a security risk.) After the install is done, given that you now
have the config CD, go to: Start > My Computer > <right-mouse-click> >
Properties > Hardware > Device manager.

If you notice components with a yellow question mark or have items that are
not working like your sound card. Prepare to update the drivers on
components that are not working... <right-mouse click> Update Driver >
Install from a List or specific location... Follow instructions and point to
either CD drive or directory, where ever you placed the CD data.

After that you may have to go to turn on items like the sound card through
the Start > Control Panel > Sound and Audio...

The only other issues you may have if is the BIOS is setup to run components
that you do not have like a RAID, which you will not be using or have
above-board cards like a LAN or sound card that has replaced the onboard
card... then you may have to boot into the bios and turn off these
mother-board components.

If you need any more help just post here.