[dba-Tech] Mother Board

Dan Waters dwaters at usinternet.com
Tue Jun 10 09:11:28 CDT 2008

Martin,

I built a fast PC last fall with zero regrets! (Faster than me anyway).  I
had looked at Dell but figured I could get a fast PC if I built it myself
for the same or a lower cost.

Not long ago I looked at my brother's Dell desktop and found that the hard
drive had unique connector ports - a non standard hard drive!  And this was
on a basic Dell desktop.  There was a connector for another hard drive, but
again it would have to have been ordered from Dell (if available).

Your PC probably has other unique parts on it as well.  So . . .

I would suggest considering starting from scratch.  If you build your own PC
all the parts will have a standard configuration.  So you can replace a
component if you want to, and easily find a replacement if you have to.

I'd guess that several people on this list have done the same, and could
provide suggestions and answers as you go.

To pique your interest here's an article about building a $350 PC:

HTH!
Dan