[dba-Tech] Compressing Drives

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 10:14:59 CDT 2008

The biggest down side to compressing a drive is that in the event that
something goes wrong, you may lose almost everything, if not everything, on
the compressed drive. Given the cost of big drives now (I just checked my
local store, called TigerDirect.ca, and 500GB drives are $99 -- mind you,
that's CDN dollars and currently they are worth more than USA dollars, so
your mileage may vary.)

Back in the day (late 80s) when drives were about a dollar a meg,
compression made sense. No more, IMO.
A.