[dba-Tech] Anyone out there having bad internet problems today?

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Mar 13 11:14:44 CDT 2008

Try www.speedtest.net

When the map of the US opens try hitting several different places.  For me
(in NC) Lexington, KY is fine (normal ping, 10m bit down, 1 mbit up), OTOH
Atlanta is 100k down and 10k up.  I was getting reliably high speeds to
specific places such as Dallas Tx but reliably poor to chicago, NY etc.
Further if I open a dos box and PING google, Yahoo, MSNBC, Microsoft etc. I
get timeouts.  If I ping www.Extremetech.com I get normal ping times.  If I
ping 4.2.2.1 (a domain name resolving system) I get 14 ms pings.

I had Charter's "tech support" on the phone for an hour and they said
"uhhh... Yup... It's not wurkin" and are sending a tech to my house.
However my "neighbor" about a mile away has exactly the same problems.

I just thought I'd ask a wider audience if anyone else in the US is seeing
these symptoms.

I have a tech coming to my house but they won't find anything here, of that
I am certain now.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting