[dba-Tech] Linux Newbie in Distress

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Sat Mar 22 08:34:08 CDT 2008

Hi Bobby,

Actually, you've been very helpful.  I did download the Microsoft
Virtual PC as you suggested.  I can tell you that it was a lot easier to
set up than either the VMware Player or Server was.  Somehow, my
Fedora-7 DVD ISO got hosed during all my fooling around (I know better
than to use my original, I always make a copy first - except this time -
dang!), so I played with the Fedora-8 DVD ISO.  Mostly that worked,
except there is something going goofy with my display.  Using the "text"
setup method, I got all the way through the Fedora-8 installation in my
MS Virtual PC.  Everything said OK.  Yay!  Then, I tried to start the
virtual machine, and it goes fine up to a point where suddenly the
display changes from white text on black background, first to a green
background, then to a scrambled image with impossible-to-make-out text.
Faintly, in the background, I can see that one thing failed, but because
of the garbled image I can not make out what it is that failed.  With
any luck, there will be a log file somewhere that I can check through.

I've found another good link for downloading the Fedora-7 DVD ISO file -
from Oregon State University's Open Source Lab - and am downloading a
fresh copy at this very moment.  It is moving considerably faster than
the last time - could be because this is Saturday morning and there may
be less traffic.  I will keep you all apprised of my progress.  I have
to learn this stuff!  And it's fun.  If I weren't so pressed for time to
get it accomplished, the several stutter starts and stops wouldn't
bother me much.  I learn every bit as much from the failures as I do
from the successes, sometimes even more.

Thanks for all your help,
Tina