[dba-Tech] Is anyone (in the us) seeing slooooooowwwwwwinternet?

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Mar 22 09:52:01 CDT 2008

Well, the unfortunate part is that whether you get lightning response is
largely determined by the route through the internet.  Of course that route
changes depending on where you are located.  IOW to get to New York (for
example) your route is entirely different than mine.  I am routed down to
Atlanta, then up the east coast.  The physical fibers (and the companies
that maintain them) are entirely different from yours.

The other day I did tracert and saw just fine hop times until I hit
WVFiber.net at which point it slowed to a crawl.  Literally dropping from 8
or 10 or 14 milliseconds per hop to hundreds of milliseconds per hop.  The
end result is that DEPENDING on WHERE I am trying to connect to (what route
has to be taken) I get stellar performance or abysmal performance.  Same
day, same time, just different destinations, and thus different routings to
get there.  The other day ATT was doing this same thing.  150 milliseconds
PER HOP and I had to take 4 or 5 or 6 hopps on ATT lines to get to places
like Microsoft.com or MSNBC.com.  So FOR ME, trying to get stuff off of
Microsoft was horridly slow.  However if I tried to browse
www.extremetech.com the pages popped up before I clicked the hotlink.  OK,
not quite but you get the point.  It turns out that my ROUTE to Extremetech
is over fast hops the whole way.  Just the luck of the draw.

Today OTOH, ATT is giving me about 90 ms / hop.  Not stellar but certainly
way better than 150 ms / hop.  For me to get to MSNBC for example I have to
go through 8 hops JUST on ATT.  The difference between 15 ms / hop and 150
ms / hop, multiplied by 8 hops across ATT translates to abysmal browsing
performance.

So in fact it does not appear to be my ISP at all.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting