[dba-Tech] Fw: Print just notes in PowerPoint

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Fri May 2 09:14:53 CDT 2008

FWIW....

The PowerPoint Help file on printing just notes implies that you can do so from the Print dialog box, but it doesn't work. I don't think I'm misunderstanding what Help says, I think Help is just plain wrong.

You can print just notes, however, you must sing a song and promise to buy lunch:

PowerPoint will print a page for each slide, but that page will contain only the note text. It's awkward at best because it also prints a page for slides with no notes -- in other words, you get a blank sheet of paper with a page number in the bottom right corner. In addition, you have to apply the format for every slide. Removing the slide placeholder from the Notes Page Master doesn't work. However, you can delete the page number by displaying the Page Master and deleting the default footer placeholder. At least that way, you can reuse the paper.
The above para is going into a blog on the subject in mid-May. For the life of me, I don't see why this is so hard -- it seems like a no-brainer to me. I've researched a bit, thinking there might be a wizard or a third-party product, but I haven't found a thing. However, I did run across a lot of posts with similar questions/complaints -- so I don't think I'm the only one that thinks PowerPoint ought to be able to do this without making us jump through hoops.

If anyone has more information, I'll be glad to update the entry and give you credit for your contribution.

Susan H.

You can add notes to a slide and print those notes along with the slide, which seems to be the default. I'm trying to figure out how to print just the notes.

I tried changing the setting:
1.      From the Tools menu, choose Options.

2.      Click the Print tab.

3.      Select the Use the Following Print Settings option in the Default Print Settings For This Document section.

4.      Choose Notes Pages from the Print What control's dropdown list.

But it's still printing both slide and notes. How do I print just the notes?

Susan H.