[dba-Tech] OT: Dell is cr.p

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Wed May 7 08:32:52 CDT 2008

Hi Jon

Amstrad PC1512? That was my very first own PC! Company wise we had been using IBM PC since they arrived.

Weird machine with B/W CGA graphics and DR DOS and the pre-Windows GUI "Gem".

/gustav

>>> jon.tydda at alcontrol.com 07-05-2008 15:11 >>>
We used Dell exclusively here until we were bought by another company,
in 2001, and switched to HP/Compaq. Now virtually all the PCs, servers
and laptops here are HP, and they're pretty reliable.

Funny thing was that I was a huge fan of Dell, and argued a case for
using them instead of HP when we were taken over, but their delivery
times really let them down in management's eyes.

At home is a different matter though... My dad has a HP laptop, my mum
has an Acer (although that's supplied by her school). All the desktops
we've had since our first PC (Amstrad PC1512) have been home built. I've
built servers, desktops, you name it... I'm in the market for a laptop,
and I'd dearly love to be able to build my own, purely to cut down on
the amount of dross you get with a prebuilt system, but I guess the
technology isn't there yet.

Jon