[dba-Tech] Dual boot Server 2003 X32 and x64

DJK(John) Robinson djkr at msn.com
Thu May 8 17:58:04 CDT 2008

I'll be interested to hear how you get on, John.

I'm experimenting with Win XP x64 (which is the 2003 base) on my new
workstation (running Q9450, plus4GB+1TB RAID), and stumbling predictably
into some 64 vs 32 driver issues, mostly solved.  But I'm running out of
time to continue the experiment short-term, and need to move my workload
onto this work-hungry beast.  So I'm hoping to dual-boot a parallel x32 Win
XP installation, allowing me to experiment further in due course and migrate
if successful.

You are right about the Program Files folders - on an x64 system the 32-bit
stuff is put in the x86 PF folder.

What I am aware of is that you don't *upgrade* an x86 system to x64 - it's a
clean install - but I'm hoping the dual-boot will work for me too.

John