[dba-Tech] Vista and the touchpad

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue May 13 07:33:37 CDT 2008

Microsoft must hire a special brand of idiots.

I am not finding ANY way to turn off the touchpad in Vista.  I have a
bluetooth mouse which is what I use.  The touchpad is still enabled, and
even worse is set to use a tap as a mouse click, so my thumb is always
touching the touchpad as I type and the mouse gets moved off to
someplace where it is not supposed to be.

In XP you could simply select the touchpad and disable it.  Vista
apparently thinks the touchpad is so critical that they completely
prevent you from disabling it without uninstalling the driver (which I
am about to do).

I NEED THIS TURNED OFF, but it would be nice to be able to get it back
if I ever need to use my laptop without the mouse.

I went out and found a driver specifically for the touchpad but even
that does not (AFAICT) allow you to just disable the damned thing.

Does anyone know how to just disable the damned thing?

Microsoft must hire a special brand of idiots.  Nobody's idiots can
match Microsoft's idiots.