[dba-Tech] Really and for true, how can I...

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Fri May 30 20:13:17 CDT 2008

Bill,

» PS, No I do not work for or have any affiliation with Acronis. «

Heh!

I'm taking the advice of our network admin mainly because the guy is
sharp and he is without a doubt the biggest uber-geek I've ever met.
He works the equivalent of two full-time jobs and makes a solid
six-figure income.  He doesn't drive, drink, smoke, or toke.  His
house is going to be paid off in eight years, not 30. He has a large
flat panel monitor installed over his bed so that he can work there.
He has 62 terabytes of storage in his home web servers.  A 60-foot
mast in his back yard has a video camera he can control via the
Internet (he showed it to me the 2nd or 3rd day I started to work at
our company). The mast also has a high bandwidth wireless connection
to the office network (he lives about four blocks away).  He had a
fingerprint scanner entry system but has gone to a card swiping
system.  He has a mini laptop computer (about the size of a paperback
book) that doubles as his phone.  He wrote a program that runs under
Windows on that little thing.  One day he ran it while I was standing
there and opened the security door to the network room via the cell
phone network.  His electric bill is about 4-5 times the normal
because of all the A/C and server power he draws.

I could go on, but you get the idea.  He said that he's familiar with
Acronis but he just carries around a spare IDE card and cable for that
kind of work.  No image drive necessary.

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI
USA