[dba-Tech] VPN Clients

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat May 31 08:54:38 CDT 2008

My clients have so far allowed me to use Hamachi.  All
clients actually have Remote Desktop already set up.  A
couple have a VPN set up by their hardware router most don't
(I deal with small companies).

Regardless of existing VPNs however, Hamachi has a "browse"
ability that allows me to directly see shares and drag and
drop files between their computer and mine.  I can do the
same thing by manually mapping a share to a disk drive
locally but it is more work, and can cause potential
conflicts, issues when the Net Use fails to disconnect the
drive etc.

It is possible for a firewall to prevent Hamachi from
getting out, and the larger shops would most likely figure
that out and do so.

I used this "Hamachi as a service" widget to allow me to set
up a Hamachi network internal to my existing network so that
  I can use remote access from outside of my network into my
network.

I have a couple of SQL Server machines for examples that I
use to run jobs for a specific client.  If I am away from
the office and the client wants a job run, I have to be able
to run remote desktop back to my systems to do that.

While that is possible without Hamachi, it involves setting
up port forwarding through my router, then playing sround
with the registry on each machine to tell it what port that
machine will use for Remote desktop.  It works, but it is
clunky, and it requires keeping track of the ports, making
sure the machines are always assigned the same internal IP
address etc.

With Hamachi, each machine is assigned a unique IP address,
so I can just place that IP address in the Remote desktop
dialog and RD just starts up.  then I also get share
browsing so I can pass files back and forth between my
laptop and the server.

Hamachi very neatly solves a raft of little issues.  HOWEVER
in this case I have full control of both ends, and I am not
intentionally throwing up roadblocks to Hamachi.  You may
find that your clients have locked things down such that
Hamachi doesn't work.