[dba-Tech] Virtual PC - Concerning Drivers

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Oct 20 15:43:56 CDT 2008

Hi John

We've run several virtual WinNT machines for special purposes (like a small MSDE database or mail server) with zero issues using VMware Virtual Server. Not sure about Virtual PC or if it even supports Windows NT 4.

VMware emulates a couple of common SCSI controllers:
  ddb.adapterType = "buslogic" or
  ddb.adapterType = "lsilogic"
which NT4 supports out of the box.

NT4 is great for many closed or firewall protected circuit tasks as it runs in 64 or even 32 MB ram, no AD issues, no IE 5/6/7 issues, a tiny footprint, no activation troubles, rapid boot, and no update troubles(!) ...

/gustav

>>> john at winhaven.net 20-10-2008 21:15 >>>
I have customer with a specialized machine that is run by a NT4 PC about 8
years old now. It all works wonderfully but given the age I have advised
them to budget for a replacement. The cost is high enough that they would
have to get a loan for it. So they wanted alternatives. The PC has numerous,
older SCSI connectors which are probably not supported with drivers for
newer Windows and the software is out of date so would probably not run on
newer Windows.

My question is this: could this be done through a Virtual PC running on a
new WXP, Server 2003/2008 or Vista or does the platform hosting the Virtual
PC have to support the hardware too?

John B