[dba-Tech] Very OT and It's only Monday so forgive me

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Mon Sep 22 15:09:52 CDT 2008

Hi Arthur,

"Epaulette" is the diminutive form of "epaule" (should have an acute
accent over that first 'e') - French for shoulder.  Here is what the big
Webster's says in defining 'epaulet' or 'epaulette':

A shoulder piece; an ornamental badge worn on the shoulder by officers
in the navy and army, and made of various forms and material according
to the rank of the wearer.  In the United States army it is worn only by
general officers.  Epaulets were worn in the British army until 1855,
when their use was abolished, but they are still worn by all naval
officers of and above the rank of lieutenant, and by some civil
officers.  All officers in the United States navy above the rank of
ensign wear epaulets.

Given that _epaulette_ is the name for the shoulder piece, I gambled
that _manchette_ might be a name for a sleeve piece.  Well, almost.
Here is what the big Webster's says about that:
Manchette - A cuff of a garment, commonly used for adornment.

We're getting closer.  A good tailor should be able to tell us.

I went looking for trench-coats, since I recall mine has a buckled bit
of fabric on each sleeve - the one I found online that looked similar
referred to a "buckled cuff."  Now, that isn't what I would call it, but
then again, I'm not sure what to call it yet, either.  I still like
"manchette."

Rank, of course, may be indicated by chevrons stitched onto the sleeve -
I remember stitching on the fresh new chevrons earned by my marine
son-in-law.  It was an honor to do that little task for him.

Hope I've helped you think.  As we keep at it, we'll find just the word
you are looking for.

Kind regards,
Tina