[dba-Tech] looking for an alternative to Exchange

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Sat Apr 11 06:03:34 CDT 2009

Hi John

I would say that the main consideration is if your users demand the calendar and appointment stuff. If not, Exchange may be overkill.

Also, indeed for 50 users, don't forget the message store limit of about 70 GB and the single domain only for the Small Business version. 70 GB may seem amble but if user attach MB presentations, pictures, or movies it is not. If more storage or multiple domains are needed, you will have to obtain the enterprise license.
Finally, don't forget backup. It is not that simple for Exchange and most suppliers of server backup software charge big money for Exchange "clients", indeed if you need smart features like single mailbox restore. Your network engineer knows all this but have it all lined up.

/gustav

>>> john at winhaven.net 11-04-2009 01:55 >>>
Thanks for all the posts concerning this. I am glad to get the cases to
present for the "non-cloud" idea. Given the cost of the alternatives I see
no need for cloud solutions which are totally dependent on numerous, weak,
fail points. At least not for my clients, at this time.

Also to others that posted open source and no cost alternatives. I'm keeping
those in sight for future projects. I am reconsidering Exchange as one of
the alternatives. My network engineer tells me that for under 50 users it's
not as bad as it used to be (I'm not quite sure how reassuring that is ;o)
and essentially I'll be getting it for free.

John B.