[dba-Tech] Generic MBR Rootkit and Vipre

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Tue Apr 14 15:58:19 CDT 2009

Hi Jim,
I usually use Belarc Advisor or Gabriel Topala's SIW to print an HTML report
to a USB stick in order to not lose license numbers and such when working on
this kind of infection. I just nuked one. A really nice (huge screen) HP
Pavilion 9000dv notebook. The thing was full of stuff the owner didn't want
and the wireless networking wasn't using. I found it infected and she didn't
care about anything so I SIW'ed it and nuked the HD. Problem is that the
wireless networking still doesn't work and when checking on the Internet it
appears that this should have been a major recall as not very many of them
do seem to work. We're going with a USB Wireless unit and forgetting about
the built-in in one. Oh-well, can't win them all...

Maybe you could image it and send it in to sunbelt ;o)

Best of luck!