[dba-Tech] Unexpected server shutdowns

Tydda Jon - Slough jon.tydda at lonza.com
Thu Apr 16 09:28:23 CDT 2009

I'd tend to think that the UPS was at fault, knowing just how flakey they can be sometimes. Depending on the model of UPS that you've got, and if it connects to the server (with a USB or serial cable), there might be some software that it installs to shut the servers down properly, so that no data is lost in the event of a power outage. If that's the case (I know HP rackmount UPS's do this), there will be a log file in that same software (on the server you've selected to "manage" the UPS).

If that isn't an option (either you don't have a managed UPS or it's not configured to shutdown the servers), then have a look through the event logs (Control Panels, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Events), and in the System and Software logs there will be events telling you that the server was started, (they'll say something like "Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 5.01. 2600 Service Pack 2 Multiprocessor Free.", but with the relevant Server OS). The entries before that will be the ones to tell you that it shut down, and perhaps lead to why it shutdown.

Hope this is of some help

Jon