[dba-Tech] Question about Ports

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Thu Apr 23 10:06:09 CDT 2009

The sender has to know which Port to send to.

There are standard "default" ports for common applications such as 21 for Telnet, 23 for
FTP, 25 for SMTP, 80 fro HTTP,, 110 for POP3 etc.

For a none standard port, you need to reconfigure the "client" application (browser, FFTP
client, email program etc) to use the different port.