[dba-Tech] Technet / MSDN / Power Pack

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 11:24:47 CDT 2009

Dear Group,

Just last night I discovered that Microsoft has a service on its
Technet site that gives you a year's subscription to all Microsoft
software for "evaluation" purposes.  $349 a year allows you to
download everything, including the Windows 7 Release Candidate,
Windows Server 2008, etc.

I wondered if any of you lot had a Technet subscription.  I believe
that Rocky has a Power Pack (?) subscription which is different.  Some
of you have MSDN subscriptions, too.  What do you think of them?  Have
they been worth it?

In '04 I found out from Hindman, I think, about the Microsoft ISV
program.  I was able to get a full Universal MSDN subscription with 5
licenses for Office, Windows, etc., for $295 a year for two years.
THAT was very, very handy.

I was considering setting up a Windows SBS 2008 or Windows Server 2008
as a Virtual PC on my system since it's got some fairly good oomph (8
GB RAM, dual core 3 GHz Intel processor, Raid 1 500 GB array).

Any thoughts about Technet?

Regards,

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI