[dba-Tech] Label Printer

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 09:09:58 CST 2009

Hello Rocky,

I have lot and lots of experience with printing single labels.  Not sure how
to help here but....

First thing to get right is your page size and orientation.  Playing around
has always worked well for me in Access.  You can try setting the page
smaller than the actual labels to start with then gradually expand the label
to fit the actual size of the paper.  *Primary advice.  Do not rush this
phase.  *If you do not get the page size and orientation right, first, you
cannot print labels.  So create a single table with five records, with one
field with values test1, test2 ... test5 and get that printing.  You will
have to play with drivers and margins (usually I find it best to set 0 as
the margins and handle the layout within the label.  At times you will find
you are unable to get something to work for you in the Access/Windows
Printer Driver working and then you will start to notice that there are
printer settings that you can manually set.  At other times, you will notice
that the windows driver overwrites the printer settings.

Sometimes you will notice that a setting does exist in the printer driver,
but you could not see that from within MS Access.  I repeat again, get this
stuff right and the rest will be easy.  Until you learn your Printer /
Driver and then MS Access printing abilitys in little labels, you may
struggle.

Sometimes you find that the Windows Driver for the printer is poor, and you
need to remove it and switch to the Manufacturers driver, and sometimes you
need to trash the manufacturer's driver and find that Bill Gates driver
works a treat !

If you need to print qtys, sometimes it is useful to set the qty in the
printer itself.

Finally, for manufacturing environments, I usually printer a Header label
and the footer label with job numbers etc, this also works well.

I have used many termal transfer printers, but in recent years I have
learned to love Printronix machines, but Zebra are also some of the best.

When you have your hardware, and labels, let us know and if I can help, I
will try.

Oh, and make sure to have ten thousand labels to start with :)

I recall once telling the customer that I needed about 30,000 labels for
volume testing, when the customer told me that the labels cost approx €0.50,
I adjusted my qty down to 10 labels :)

I have spent my youth printing labels :)

Mark