[dba-Tech] How fast is Atom processor?

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Dec 4 04:35:13 CST 2009

Hi all

I'm wondering if the small and cheap netbook machines with an Atom processor are useful for any kind of development work? Respecting the small screen of course. Or are they just toys for browsing the web and reading e-mails?

The info to locate tells similar stories, that it is comparable to an 800 MHz/1 GHz 130 nm Pentium-M. That doesn't sound impressive compared to my slowest workstation with Pentium 4, 2.2 GHz.
But do any of you have any practical experience with these machines?

/gustav