[dba-Tech] Preferred backup method?

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Fri Feb 13 13:46:07 CST 2009

Hi Steve,
For my clients I recently switched from using Retrospect Backup (or CA
ArcServe for some) to portable USB Drives (previously tapes) to using
Acronis to do the same.

I've kept the same backup unit rotation of Annual, Monthly, Weekly, Daily
backups as I did with a tape system. One never knows how far back a
corruption goes until one tries to recover from a corruption :o)

I would imagine this scheme would work with any imaging software. I like
Acronis because it is very robust and it can store the backups in zip
format.

I utilize ZipBackup for smaller peer to peer offices. It works well but does
not have imaging capabilities - strictly a file backup solution. Backup
scheme is essentially the same as above with the exception that dailies are
done to another machine and only weeklies and above are taken off site.

In my office I use the Acronis method from above.

Given the problems I've recently had with my RAID 5 system, I'm thinking of
going to RAID 0 with the third drive as backup image drive. Every night I
would set my Acronis to do a complete imagine of the RAID 0 so if anything
failed I'd have an easy time by changing the BIOS to boot from the image
drive rather than the RAID Array. Once I repaired the RAID Array I could
image it back from the image drive and switch the BIOS back. What do you
think of that approach?