[dba-Tech] encryption for laptops

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Wed Feb 18 10:38:01 CST 2009

There are plenty of Boot disk images available on the internet  which let you reset
passwords. Every geek should have one in their toolkit.

The one I use it  a small downloadable CD iso image:
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/main.html
<quote>
    * This is a utility to (re)set the password of any user that has a valid (local) account on
your Windows NT/2k/XP/Vista etc system.
    * You do not need to know the old password to set a new one.
    * It works offline, that is, you have to shutdown your computer and boot off a floppydisk
or CD or another system.
    * Will detect and offer to unlock locked or disabled out user accounts!
    * There is also a registry editor and other registry utilities that works under linux/unix,
and can be used for other things than password editing.
</quote>

Another commonly used one is Emergency Boot CD:
http://www.prime-expert.com/ebcd/

<quote> EBCD includes Windows Password Wizard, which can be used to restore access
to your PC when you forgot the password for Windows user account </quote>

With an un-encypted Windows computer, it only takes a minute or so to boot from the CD
then follow a few clearly explained  prompts to (1) enable the Administrator account if it
has been disabled  and (2) set the Administrators password to blank.  Once you've done
that, reboot the laptop and you are in.

--
Stuart