[dba-Tech] subscription based data theft protection

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Thu Feb 19 04:38:25 CST 2009

Hi Susan

Yes, it is called device management, mostly used for PDAs. One such product is Perlego:

http://www.perlego.com/

One feature is that, if you loose your PDA, you report this ASAP to the device administrator. He marks the unit as lost in the Perlego admin tool, and at once - or when the unit is brought on-line just by turning it on - it receives a signal to self-destroy. All data are silently erased and the unit is put into a locked state while the bad guy just thinks it is idle or powering up.

The other side of this is that a complete image of your PDA is held at the administrator. While you return to the office, he loads a new device with your image and give it to you when you arrive, and you are back in business as if nothing has happened.

/gustav

>>> ssharkins at gmail.com 19-02-2009 02:01 >>>
I know there are a few software products that allow IT to remotely delete
data from a lost or stolen hard drive. Recently, I read about a company
that's offering a subscription based product -- for a fee, you just call
them and they remotely disable your laptop. Does anyone know of such a
service? I wish I'd made a note of it, but I didn't.

Susan H.