[dba-Tech] Vista question

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Thu Jan 1 10:13:50 CST 2009

Hi Susan

First, she should find another dealer. His attitude reminds me of salesmen at radio- and TV-shops selling audio equipment. As a former sound engineer I still know a lot about audio and speakers and it is a terrible experience to listen to all the crap and pure nonsense these smart guys present as facts. Sometimes they lie but most often they just don't know what they are talking about.

Then, he may be right - even though Vista machines do not have any "embedded code" (whatever that should be) - as installing WinXP on a laptop without the original install cd-rom(s) typically represents a challenge not met by the average user, because it is quite a bit of work to identify and locate the drivers for all the special hardware often found in laptops.

That said, she may very well be happy with Vista. I was a bit sceptic, but after Shamil told about his positive experience, I went with Vista for my new home machine and I love it. It is a perfect match for Visual Studio 2008 and Office 2007 and that is what I mostly use it for.

/gustav

>>> ssharkins at gmail.com 01-01-2009 15:24 >>>
A friend recently purchased a new laptop and when asked if she could convert
to Windows XP, the salesperson told her no -- didn't offer her the available
license, just told her no. She asked if she could reformat and install it
herself and he said no because Vista machines have an embedded code that
inhibits Windows XP. Anyone heard of this embedded code? I think it's a
total lie, but thought I'd ask -- nothing MS did would surprise me anymore.

Susan H.