[dba-Tech] 64 vs. 32 bit Redux

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 10:14:50 CDT 2009

The 64 Bit PROCESSOR has 64 bit registors and such within the
processor chip itselt that expands the physical addresses that can be
referenced. So it can essentially work with bigger numbers inside the
processor itself. It's communcation with other devices and things such
as your network isn't going to matter. The hard drives are the same
between a 32 bit and 64 bit processor and Operating systems. The
network adapters are the same too. The 64 bit versions of windows have
had less drivers available for some devices. I think 32 bit code runs
OK on 64 bit processors and 64 bit operating systems but it's the 16
bit stuff that doesn't run at all. And there is still some amount of
16 bit code within some of the 32 bit applications, such as the
install processes, that often proves to be trouble.

At least that is my understanding.

So I think you are right in that he is jsut feeling that it will be a
different variation and so will translate into more work for him.
Don't tell him I said that though <grin>

GK