[dba-Tech] "The publisher could not be verified" prompt running executable from network

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Jun 15 03:56:09 CDT 2009

Hi all

Something happened, I think, when upgrading to IE8. The above message now popped up again, very annoying indeed as I had to call the executable with Process.Start from a .Net application.

If you google on the message, a lot of suggestions are found. All of these were tried and none helped. They may if you are running a pure Windows environment. If not, no dice.

Also a suggestion to create a batch file and run that with command /c can be found and it works, but isn't really convincing.
Finally I found this thread with a solution I can confirm:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winvista/1245053922

My issue was that I had put our local server in the area "Sites I trust". I moved it to "Local intranet" and bingo!
Read my posted message below.

/gustav

Just found out that this is the solution too if you are running executables off a Novell NetWare server, like:

file://nsbs65

Such a server is not automatically "discovered" as part of your local intranet by Windows.
If you don't run in a Windows domain the other method mentioned in this thread about the group policy administrator is of no use, not even with Windows XP Professional.
You could copy the executable to the local temp folder and run it from there but that's really a Laurel and Hardy work-around.

I've found too, that you can just use Run from the Start menu and the control applet:

inetcpl.cpl

and - when done - a reboot isn't needed.

/gustav