[dba-Tech] OT: Wolfram|Alpha

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Thu May 21 06:53:47 CDT 2009

Gustav,

In the days since, I haven't noticed that it's slow except for a few
queries where I saw a skinny progress bar appear.  Normally now the
answer is returned quite quickly.  I haven't done much beyond the
playing stage, though.  For instance, I found that there's a limit to
the number of sides of a regular polygon it will display.  If you type
in "30-gon" you'll be shown a "visual representation" of the shape as
well as a nifty "Diagonals" plot.  But if you go up to 31-gon all
you'll get will be a text description.

I've been following the Wolfram|Alpha Facebook discussion as well as
the blog.  I've lusted after Mathematica for years and played with a
few of the demo versions.  I bought Wolfram's "A New Kind of Science"
and even wrote an Access routine using Steve Lebans' graphics library
to produce one of the automatons in that book. So, I've been a Wolfram
fan for some time and I hope that Wolfram|Alpha does very well.

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI