[dba-Tech] Outlook PST troubles

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Thu May 21 06:20:54 CDT 2009

Max,

This problem occured, I think, because of the reversal of their
practice to leave copies of emails on the ISP's mail server.  There's
only the one machine that downloads email orders -- this is a retail
food supplement store with a big Internet presence.  For whatever
reason, Outlook had been set to leave a copy of the email on the
server.

I talked this over with Janet last week before they turned off that
feature, knowing that however many messages were stored on the ISP's
mail server would come cascading down to the local PC...14,000
messages as I said.

That, I think, is the genesis of the problem.  I don't know if
auto-archive was turned on.  Backups?  I don't think so.  Janet is the
de facto system admin and has had her hands full trying to understand
network administration along with her other duties.

Where I used to work Outlook was the tool of choice for company email.
 Everybody had an email account and the network admin was very skilled
and kept it humming.  This is a different setup by far.  They've got a
true-blue Windows Small Business Server 2008 box, but Outlook isn't
centrally managed by Exchange.  Everyone with an email account (not
every employee) has Outlook set up as a standalone app on his own
workstation.  No common backup.

Regards,

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI