[dba-Tech] Free alternative for LogMeIn Rescue?

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Thu May 28 11:05:36 CDT 2009

Hi Jim

We use various versions of VNC too and, of course, Remote Desktop. Problem is, however, that some clients sit behind locked down firewalls where it is impossible to have "special" ports opened or install of the LogMeIn Remote client is not allowed or just not practical. LogMeIn Rescue is different but quite expensive.

/gustav

>>> accessd at shaw.ca 28-05-2009 17:54 >>>
Hamachi with Window Remote Desktop (You have to have a XP Pro TermServer
with packages with like XP home)... which of course now owned by LogMeIn and
which now uses Hamachi under-the-firewall technology. I use UltraVNC with a
lot of clients as it works well on both Windows and Linux (in conjunction
with Putty) and it is free.

On the other hand the absolute simplest remote product is LogMeIn. Many
companies around here use it as their standard regardless the price. There
are also bulk purchase rates for larger support companies.

All Windows servers have build-in Remote Desktop (TermServer) administration
support and all major Linux products have UltraVNC technology built in.