[dba-Tech] What is Twitter and Why Should I be Interested?

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Sun Oct 4 16:00:36 CDT 2009

Hi Arthur

You are just getting old, however not older than you can easily catch up.
The only thing that is difficult to understand about Twitter is that there is no more to understand than this is for the internet what SMS (or text message) is for the cell phone.
The header "What are you doing?" says it all. This is so childish and egocentric that you have to be a teenager to appreciate it. Why bother other people about your current doings of this and that unless you really believe this is important for someone: "I'm checking e-mail". Who cares?

Shamil and I are joining out of curiosity (we interchanged no more than two messages to find out). Mark Breen is too.
As for the messages you receive, if the sender names look strange to you, these are probably just trying to get your attention - only to pass it on to some pornographic site.

I can see an account, Artfull (Arthur Fuller), is that you? Following T. Avery and J. Donovan.

/gustav

>>> fuller.artful at gmail.com 04-10-2009 22:18 >>>
A whole slew of people are now sending me messages saying that they are
following me on Twitter. I don't know what Twitter is, or why people are
following me on Twitter, or why anyone would want to follow me on Twitter,
or why I would want to be on Twitter. But I have received approximately 100
messages saying that people are following me on Twitter. I admit that I am a
senior citizen but I have no idea what these people are following me for,
and no idea what Twitter is, nor any idea how to prevent these messages.
Apparently I am too old for this stuff. People I have never heard of are
tracking me on Twitter, and I don't even know what Twitter is. But I guess
that I am way out of the loop, because even Jay Leno makes reference to it.
A.