[dba-Tech] Cheap install

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 30 12:24:08 CDT 2009

Ubuntu OS, Apache (AMP... website software), Mosaic (FF for internet
connection), Kontact suite (for handling emails, notes, task list, ordering
etc...), Pidgin (MSN type software), Skype (long distance phone software),
Munin (site monitoring software), Open Office (office), UltraVNC (remote
support software), BackupPC and Clonezilla (for backup), GnuCash
(accounting), PhpPointOfSale (Core POS system), VisualBox (Running some of
their older favourite Windows apps), Wine (Still in test mode) and my own
custom design of cobbled together POS and accounting mix... Went with a
local company that handled Visa/MC/Debit etc.. through a web connection.
That is all I can remember off the top of my head. It took a month just to
figure out all the pieces and figure out how to assemble it all.

For a partial listing of the most visible OS software check out the
following site:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free_and_open_source_software_packages

I am still working on a web based set of POS systems that are cross-platform
but it is a very big project and paying work just keeps getting in the way.
8-)