[dba-Tech] Format hard drive and start over

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 20:53:38 CDT 2009

Hello Tina,

first thing it so ensure that you have some drivers for your network card.
 If you cannot get on the net to pull down the drivers you need after you
re-install, you are stuck even before you can get going.

Second thing is that if you are installed Vista or later, it will be easier
thatn XP / Win2k3 or earlier.  These older OS's look for a SATA driver,
Vista, and presumably W7 and Wk28 seem to boot without needing to preload a
SATA driver.

Once you get the machine booting from your CD and you have a driver for the
network card, you just follow the steps.

By the time you have it finished, and windows patched, and perhaps office
installed, you will have eaten at least eight hours.  Let us know if you do
it in less :)

There are utils out there to scan the drive, if it is really faulty, you
could do the 8 hours and then it will fail again!

Good Luck and enjoy, try to do it with Vista if you can, it will avoid the
inital DOS screen and the "Press F8 to load hard Disk Driver"

Mark