[dba-Tech] Format hard drive and start over

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Sat Oct 31 11:51:39 CDT 2009

Hi Tina,
Run SpinRite and have do a check of the entire hard drive. Doesn't pay to go
through installing the OS from scratch if the hard drive is bad. I have a
ton of hard drives laying around here if you need a different one let me
know.

If you have a Product Key number (on the MS sticker) on the case of the
computer you can use a disk with the same product to install Windows from
scratch. Then you won't need to worry about formatting or anything as it
will be an option in the installation procedure. If installing XP and it has
less than SP2 then download SP2 and SP3 on you main PC. Install those SPs
from a USB stick as soon as Windows install is done. If you need drivers for
the PC you can download them from the manufacturer's web support site and
install them from a USB stick too. XP, SP2 and SP3 will take some time to
install so don't bother watching them once started :o)

Also don't bother installing any additional apps (including security) until
done with all of this.

Good Luck Tina!