[dba-Tech] FW: Your Blueprint: Optimizing Your Desktop Using VirtualBox

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 10:37:49 CDT 2009

Although I have made everything work satisfactorily, I still am mystified
and concerned that things are inverted. It seems that I must run a basic OS,
whether Ubuntu or XP or Windows Server, and then run VirtualBox inside this
OS. This seems to be fundamentally backwards: the first thing that boots
ought to be a minimal OS + VirtualBox or any similar VM manager: the lowest
level ought to be just that -- no applications at all, save the VM manager,
thus preserving the max RAM for the VMs. Given such a layout, I could then
create a dozen VMs and stuff only the apps of interest into each of them,
e.g. Vista in one, XP in another, Ubuntu in another, etc.
This is pretty much what I do anyway, despite the overhead of the first OS,
but I currently live with it (and also with my impecuniousness -- would love
to cram 8GB in this sucker!). Ah well, another day....

Meanwhile, learning Mandarin an hour a day is going very well. Thanks to my
instructors (a married couple who live in the building) I am learning pretty
rapidly, and  improving their English significantly too. They have a program
that is a Mandarin-English dictionary of sorts, but much more. I forgot to
ask for the URL today, but it's a free download and it should help me even
more.

To keep this vaguely on topic, i.e. programming languages, the differences
between languages can be striking. APL for example has language constructs
that are at best extremely difficult to translate into a language such as
C#, VB.NET, etc.: matrix multiplication is expressed with a couple of
characters in APL and numerous lines of code in any of the others
mentioned.

Speaking of which, Dr. Dobbs used to have an annual contest for
C-obfuscation: write a chunk of working C that runs successfully and
delivers the desired result, but is challenging to comprehend. Maybe we
should launch similar contests at DatabaseAvisors.com. Could be fun.

A.