[dba-Tech] FW: Your Blueprint: Optimizing Your Desktop Using VirtualBox

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Sep 25 13:45:00 CDT 2009

Hi Arthur and Lambert

You are looking for the VMware ESXi Hypervisor:

http://www.vmware.com/products/esxi/features.html

As for MS Virtual PC, it runs on Windows only. However, it is said to "reuse" a lot of the resources of the hosting OS, thus the sum of ram and resources consumed by a host OS plus a guest OS might be lower than that for, say, a Linux OS hosting a VMware guest with Windows OS.
Thus, if you plan to run a setup with Windows guest OSs only, it might be a good combo having Windows 64-bit running as host OS for a collection of Virtual PCs with various Windows OSs. I having investigated this further, so I have no real life figures.

/gustav

>>> Lambert.Heenan at chartisinsurance.com 25-09-2009 20:27 >>>

 In theory I'd say you are right, but the problem is probably that there has to be some sort of reasonably proficient OS to run the thing on top of as *something* has to provide the underlying services: you know dull stuff like disk access, screen updates, port management etc.

So I guess it boils down to which base OS has smallest footprint: Windows, OS X, Linux, or Solaris which are the major OS platforms that VirtualBox will run on (though there are no guest additions for OS X).

Lambert