[dba-Tech] iSCSI Openfiler SAN, Jumbo Frames

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Apr 9 05:42:34 CDT 2010

Hi Jim et al

As Jumbo Frames may speed up transfer of large files, which indeed is
the case when using iSCSI, I tried to locate some decent info on this
and the do and don'ts.
This seems quite good:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-features/30201-need-to-know-jumbo-frames-in-small-networks

<quote>
Here are the key points for using jumbo frames on small networks:

1. Jumbo frames require gigabit Ethernet.
2. The highest frame size for a connection is the lowest end-to-end
maximum frame size.
3. Gigabit Ethernet Layer 2 switches forward or drop jumbo frames; they
don't fragment.
4. Fragmentation is a Layer 3 (routing) function.
5. TCP can adjust frame size between different devices. UDP can't.
6. Using jumbo frames for low latency applications (gaming, VoIP) can
be counterproductive
7. Bigger isn't necessarily better. Jumbo frame sizes need to be
matched to device computing power.
</quote>

If your equipment supports Jumbo Frames a speed increase of about 25%
can be expected at no cost other than the time to carry out the
adjustment:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-reviews/30195-8-port-gigabit-switch-roundup?start=1

/gustav

>>> accessd at shaw.ca 29-03-2010 01:01 >>>
Even though I have not heard anything about iSCSI target, it does sound
like a very descent product at a decent price. I have been slowly
replacing my home office network with GByte LAN cards, switches and
router. The internal performance is really stellar but Internet is only
marginally improved but that is probably because my ISP throttles back
performance...

On a Linux box the performance should be better as there is less
overhead than on Windows products.

Keep me posted on what you learn and any performance and setup issues.