[dba-Tech] Windows 2000 SMTP Service: 535 5.7.3 Authentication unsuccessful

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Thu Aug 5 05:44:22 CDT 2010

Hi all

A client has a Windows 2000 server running the SMTP Service of Windows using basic authentication. No Windows domain, just Workgroup.

Perhaps after applying some Windows security updates, all of the sudden existing user accounts cannot authenticate.
However, if I create a new user it authenticates right away.

Though not running Exchange, this is very much what is described here:
http://www.apijunkie.com/APIJunkie/blog/post.aspx?id=a9d57d96-7443-49ff-99bb-7cb4435f62f3

For historical reasons, one of the old accounts which uses the SMTP Service is the Administrator, which I don't think is wise to delete and recreate if at all possible.
Any ideas how I can bring this account to authenticate again?

/gustav