[dba-Tech] Svchost.exe error - Update 2

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 7 13:08:19 CDT 2010

Hi Tina:

It looks like it is going to take some personal intervention to remove this
virus. With IE, it takes its queues from a registry location where the
default or home page is stored so IE itself is probably not infected.

What is happening is that a process is being run that pushes a new location
into registry and that is the same with 'blocked the access' to certain web
locations. Run Regedit and navigate to somewhere like this:
hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\internet explorer\... (from memory so
check). In this location is all the setting that control IE. A dozen weird
hacks can be pushed into this location. I would check "Main" In there is
stored all the search/default/load locations. These are most likely chanced.
Changing these will not give long term relief as the virus will do another
update and you are back where you started from. Now you have to find the
program that is doing the work.

A sophisticated virus usually has a number of layers like an onion so
removing it is not easy. Just finding and removing the working virus usually
does not work as yet another segment of the program just replaces it and the
app that does the replacement very likely also has auto-restarting backup.

First look at the list of startup location given to you by Hack-This. There
are only so many locations where apps will be automatically started. Check
out each of the auto-boot files. Rest assured one of your villains will be
there. It is carefully named so it sounds like a legitimate file but it is
not. I.E. named winex... sounds legit but it is fake. It may actually be
correctly named but will be placed in a wrong directory.

When you find the culprit file and location you can delete it but that will
not solve your problem as virus will just rewrite itself at the next cycle
or reboot. I have fond a little trick to stopping the file from coming back.

Go into notepad and save a file with the same name and to the same location
as the one you just deleted, then within file-explorer find the file you
just created and flag it read-only.

This process of discovery and removal will be a bit trial and error as the
virus is not going to be simple to remove... after all it have defeated all
virus protection already. A tough virus usually has at least 3 to 5
locations where it reboots from.

After finishing you can go to the IE regiry on the offending computer, bring
up the IE registry settings as previously mentioned and do the same on your
laptop... cross-reference and fix any thing that seems out of place.

If you have not already done so run a rootkit checker. Here is a good
location for getting information and possible Rootkit virus...

http://www.pchell.com/support/rootkitremovaltools.shtml

These are real tough nuts and they are not always successful removed. If you
have one and it can not be removed re-installation is the only solution.

Another method for fixing Windows is to rebuild the OS which will set
everything back to initial install settings but all the data and info files
will be in place and still there. When rebooting with the original CD, do
not select the '...Recovery Console..." option, continue and select the
repair option "R". Note: that any missing SPs or updates will have to be
reinstalled.

You can send me the Hack-this startup list and log files if you feel two
sets of eyes would be better than one.

HTH