[dba-Tech] New virtual drive

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Tue Jan 12 10:30:31 CST 2010

Hi Steve,
What technique do you use for doing this?

I am doing a job this week where I'm setting up VPC VMs on a new XP machine.

The client currently runs a number of DOS apps on a Win98 PC.

My plans are to create a DOS VM and copy the DOS apps/files over to it and
see if I can skip Win98 altogether. But there may also be some little used
applications on this PC that may require Win98. The problem is that this is
a production machine and I can't have the time with it to determine this
until I get the apps/files/hardware all working for the DOS programs which
are vital to daily ops. Once that is accomplished I can determine if I need
to image the HD and create a Win98 VM.

I was planning on using Acronis for imaging the HD and converting to a Win98
VM this but would welcome any suggestions.

John B.