[dba-Tech] Once and for all time: server backups

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 08:39:16 CST 2010

John,

I was mistaken about the setup of Janet's server: its entire hard disk (>500
GB) is RAID 5, but it's been partitioned into a 70 GB applications drive and
about 500 GB for data.  My mistake.

The server is a bona fide new HP server with all the fancy-schmancy extras
like redundant power supplies, SAS 2.5" drives in a RAID 5 array,
sneeze-through wind vents, and chrome fender dents.

The server had some problems right out of the box because of a faulty UPS.
 Caused quite a few crashes early in the game.

This was the first SBS 2008 installation for these guys.  Clearly they don't
know much, but the owner of the store did them a favor.

Perhaps the idea of a bootable backup disk is a chimera.  I was saying to
Janet last night that if it were such a good idea then why don't more
companies use it?  I understand that server farms would be a bit of a
poser...but, again, this situation seems tailor-made for a bootable
backup...something that will cause the de facto network administrator the
fewest headaches.

As far as the fellow who recommended 12 GB of RAM on the server, he's
brilliant but impossible to get ahold of.  He also seemed to think that just
regular home edition Casper would do the trick for the server.  I don't have
the knowledge of servers to know WHY home edition Casper isn't good enough.

I'm going to check with Janet in a few minutes.  Apparently, Casper
Technical Edition started a backup last night with no problems.  I don't
know if it actually finished, though.

>> --I hate it when that happens. If you can, go in and scrub Acronis out
of the system files and registry and then repair VSS. Is Acronis not willing
to help? <<

I've helped Janet find some technical help on-line.  I don't know whether
Acronis is willing to help.  Janet is a bit impatient and would far rather
have someone on the phone on whom she could focus her laser-like discontent.
 The pace of emails and such is like slow death for her.  But I think she
has made some progress on the VSS front.  At least that Casper backup
started last night.  That means that the Windows VSS appears to be operating
and that the Acronis custom (bastardized) version has been eradicated.  I
just wonder whether it's like poison ivy and is just waiting for next season
to grow again!

>> I recently picked up a new client that had previously been sold a
"server" that was little more than a cheap PC kit from a mail order catalog.
Piece of crap. It went down and I temporarily replaced it with a used Dell
Dimension (it was all I had on hand) that I had that was ready to be
scrapped while waiting for their new server. The Dell ran their
system better! <<

I spent a fair amount of my time in the computer biz selling PCs ('83 -
'90).  I know for a fact that there were 286 class machines used as servers
in the old days, before Microsoft acquired NetManager or whatever it was
called and turned it into Windows networking.  Granted, the things that have
been added to servers these days are definite advancements in the art...but
"servers" could be and were all sorts of various systems.  I had a
plain-jane 486 as a Netware file server for some years in our home office.

Thanks for commiserating, Mr. President!

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI