[dba-Tech] Once and for all time: server backups

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 08:45:53 CST 2010

Mark,

>> I saw there are already a lot of responses to this thread <<

...but there don't seem to be any clear-cut answers.  Backup is as much a
black art as security, methinks.

That "hot" backup idea is good.  I'll chat with Janet about it.  Only she
will be able to tell whether the boss is willing to spring for a second HP
server.

>> Sure I would have to map the printers again, and we might have no domain
controller for few days, but once everyone has access to machine B, you are
good to go. <<

That is one of the things that simply astounds me regarding backup
"philosophies": isn't it better all around if the backup system has got all
of those things ready to go?  I mean, with an image backup of the server to
a drive in a docking station, you don't have to worry about conflicting
domain controllers or what have you; but all that's needed is for the backup
drive to be designated as the boot drive on the server and, mirabile dictu!
 The server is back up with ALL the domain controller and email and printer
definitions, etc.  What is so frickin' magical about servers that that type
of backup can't be done?  Sorry, not yelling at you...I simply am shaking my
head over this simple setup and the apparent impossibility of the backup
task as stated.

Thanks for your input, Mark.

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI