[dba-Tech] Web Connection speeds

Max Wanadoo max.wanadoo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 14:15:17 CST 2010

This might help.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/wirelesstips.aspx

max

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Jim Lawrence
Sent: 18 January 2010 20:05
To: 'Discussion of Hardware and Software issues'
Subject: Re: [dba-Tech] Web Connection speeds

Good questions John...

I would suspect that our large rural areas have an effect on these
statistics especially when small densities of people make the expansion of
high speed internet costs prohibitive. The federal, provincial and municipal
government did implement a fiber-optic backbone across the province but it
is only used by the government. No joy there for the general population.

On the other hand, countries like South Korea and Japan have a 50 percent
fiber optic adoption ratio and many countries (over 20 at last count) are
trying to get-an-edge by creating an enterprise friendly environment within
their country. We do not even have a national fiber-optic program here.

IMHO, I do not believe it is a situation that can not be left to linger for
years... is would be like not having a national railway in the 1900s. I
think a pro-active approach would give our countrys' the structure to
develop businesses in any area on the continent... especially in mid western
and the manufacturing areas which have been so hard hit by the current
recession.