[dba-Tech] Tricky situation

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 26 14:28:52 CST 2010

Hi all:

Have you ever imaged a FAT32 drive and then attempted to restore it to a
NTFS drive?... for my imager of choice, DriveImage XML, it was a disaster.

It took me about a day to realize what the problem was. I did not even know
that XP could be installed on a FAT32 drive but it can. I finally formatted
the destination drive in NTFS, installing a bare-bones XP and I am in the
process of restoring all the files, individually... a long and slow process
as care must be made not to over-right any of the required NTFS components.
(The registry could get real ugly... but I do not know.)

If anyone else has run across this problem and has found a good quick
solution and better method, or has any warnings of their own, please share.