[dba-Tech] Faster, cheaper and better

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 15 09:55:26 CDT 2010

Servers can be very expensive as they require huge boxes, many cooling fans,
a power supply that requires the biggest UPS, heatsink and more fans. The
CPUs have fans and heatsinks as big as a head. It requires two people just
to roll them into place. Then we throw in redundancy...

They can be a really pain in the back; literally... I know. Most of the
pain, I understand is in the price (far beyond my pay grade) and
subsequently the maintenance and power consumption. They suck power
big-time. It is like turning on an electric stove or 20 hot plates and never
turning them off... no wonder they need their own power circuits.

But there isn't much that can be done about it. If you have a lot of data
and need performance you just pay... well until now:

http://venturebeat.com/2010/06/13/seamicro-drops-an-atom-bomb-on-the-server-
industry/