[dba-Tech] Excel question

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 17:47:48 CST 2010

Is there anyway to keep users from changing formulas, etc. in specific cells without turning on protection?

I'll tell you what I'm doing, because maybe there's a better way. Users can enter new records, as many as they like -- but the cells at the far right have formulas. I don't want them to keep entering, right over the formulas. However, if I unlock the data entry cells and turn on protection, they can't enter as many records as they like, unless of course, I unlock a huge range of cells -- down to row 65535. Is that the only recourse?

I just noticed something else interesting. I have the extend formulas and formats option selected and it works fine, except in the last data entry column. I can't get Excel to copy a border format to the new record. Curious.

Susan H.