[dba-Tech] Excel advanced filter question

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 10:55:37 CDT 2010

Well, this just blows my mind...

I've set up a small sheet and a criteria range for filtering.

Ranges:
List: A5:F82
Criteria: A1:F2

The criteria heading row is an exact duplicate of the list's. I copied it, so there are no discrepancies.

I want to extract the top n records in column C, so in C2, I entered the formula:

=C6>=LARGE($C$6:$C$82,5)

But get this -- it only works if I delete the heading text in cell C1. Now this goes contrary to everything I understand about advanced filters. Can someone explain this to me, and how can I get it to work without deleting the text in cell C1? It's already set up -- I can't tell people..."Oh, in this one case, you have to delete ...." That's just sloppy -- I can't do that.

Thanks!
Susan H.